Dating back to the 19th century, Gwern Borter Manor has a long-established royal history. It was most famously used as a hunting retreat by King Edward the VII of England.
Gwern Borter Manor's history has been preserved in time through the now-turned bed and breakfast's interiors. Thus, staying at the manor gives the feeling of being taken back to the 19th century, where the story began.
Built in 1840 the manor was home to Thomas Evans Esquire who owned it for almost half a decade, before it was along with the rest of his estate, auctioned off. It was then bought by George Barker in 1889 and passed down to his son, who owned the it until his death. The family had close ties with Lord Leicester and the Prince of Wales, who later went on to become King Edward the VII of England. During the duration of Queen Victoria's reign, her son, the Prince was mostly excluded from political power and duties, so he spent his time pursuing leisure activities, such as hunting. During this time the manor became a favourite country retreat.
Aside from hunting, the Prince had a deeper connection to the manor. Stories suggest it was a haven for his infamous mistress, Lille Langtry, who met the Prince at a dinner party hosted by Sir Allen Young. At the time, the Prince was married to Princess Alexandra of Denmark and had 6 children but was a well know philanderer, so it came as no surprise when he pursued Lille, became infatuated and she became his mistress. Lille had a reputation of her own other than being known as a British-American actress and socialite. She was known for relationships with other noblemen, some prominent conquests were Prince Louis of Battenberg and the Earl of Shrewsbury. Lile garnered widespread media and public interest due to her affairs.
The ownership of the manor changed several times before it was finally bought by Air Commodore Robinson in 1956. He was Europe's leading mink fur producer and turned it into a mink farm. After his death in 1977, it was left vacant for years and fell into utter disrepair.
Finally, in 1987, we purchased the manor and spent 7 long years restoring it to its original glory. The restoration was executed using local craftsmen and traditional materials. An atmosphere of timeless relaxed grandeur has been created and once again, it has become a favourite retreat of elite guests.